[-] 2 tsp olive oil
[-] 1/2 cup minced onions
[-] 1/2 lb 93% lean ground beef
[-] 1/2 lb 93% lean ground turkey
[-] 1/3 cup whole wheat seasoned breadcrumbs
[-] 1 large egg, beaten
[-] 2 tablespoons tomato paste, divided
[-] pinch black pepper
[-] 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
[-] 1 tsp red wine vinegar
[-] 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce, to taste
[-] 1/4 tsp mustard powder
[-] 5 oz sliced mushrooms
[-] 1 1/4 cup reduced sodium beef broth
[-] chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Chop 1 oz of the mushrooms into big slices and set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick pan on medium-high and Sauté 1 tsp oil and onions. Cook until golden brown, about 4 to 5 minutes. Divide onions in two.
- In a large bowl, combine half of the sautéed onions with the ground beef, ground turkey, chopped mushroom, bread crumbs, egg, 1 tbsp tomato paste, 1/4 cup of the beef broth, 3/4 tsp salt and black pepper.
- In bowl add flour and 1 cup broth. Stir until smooth.
- Add in remaining onions, remaining 1 tbsp tomato paste, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and mustard powder.
- Gently shape into 20 small meatballs.
- Brown the meatballs by frying in a pan with a teaspoon of oil. About 4 minutes.
- In your Instant Pot Multi-Functional Pressure Cooker add the meatballs, the remaining 4oz of mushrooms, 1/8 teaspoon salt and black pepper. Cover and cook on high pressure 10 minutes (In a regular Slow Cooker or Crock-Pot cover and cook low for 6 to 8 hours, until tender.). Let the pressure release on it’s own. Garnish with parsley.
4 Servings, Serving Size: 5 meatballs
- Calories: 271
- Fat: 12g
- Carbohydrates: 12g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 3g
- Protein: 28g
The Athlete’s Physique™